Why Web Applications Are Becoming Popular Than Standalone Applications?
The Internet came into existence about 25 years ago and has become an inevitable part of our society. All of us are familiar with websites and standalone applications that we have used in our systems for performing a different set of tasks, now those standalone software’s are being embedded into websites and one can use that software with a simple web browser application. These websites which behave and work as a native application are being called as web apps (web applications).
What is web application development?
The process of creating software application programs that are stored on distant remote servers and renders the software application program on user’s device through the internet over a sophisticated web browser is called Web app (Web applications) development. The websites with dynamic behaviour created after going through this procedure are called Web apps (Web applications).
Why web applications are becoming more popular than standalone applications?
Standalone applications expose companies and users to dozens of problems that can be solved if they move the application to the web development platform.
- Standalone applications need to install on a system before a user starts accessing it.
- Standalone applications can run only if the user’s device has a good hardware configuration.
- Standalone applications’ vendors need to maintain large support staff because whenever a user faces any issue then support personnel has to be assigned for a specific device.
- If the component of a standalone application fails, then the whole application will crash.
- Web apps (Web applications) are installed on servers that can be accessed by users with a simple web browser which eliminates the installation time & complexities.
- Web apps (Web applications) can run on devices which can run a simple web browser. Hence the large software application can run on low configuration devices easily.
- Since Web apps (Web applications) are mostly deployed on vendors’ servers they need to maintain a small in-house support team to resolve issues on live Web apps (Web applications).
- If the component of Web apps (Web applications) fails, then on the user end that component can be rendered from a backup/alternative server.
The business impact from the popularity of web application development
- Web application development has brought improvements over antiquated methods of using monolithic architecture for software development as it demanded a different approach for architectural design. Monolithic architectural design-based software took more time to develop and if they had a bug whole application used to mess up. Now micro service-based Web app (Web application) development is quite popular as the web app can be debugged even when it is running. Chromebook is one such example which is using this technology.
- Web app (Web application) development has brought the facility to share software, hardware as a service which is expensive and used to remain idle for almost every user.
- Sharing resources reduces the cost as well as gives access to users over the latest hardware and software.
- With Web apps (Web applications) an IT team on server’s location can be employed to handle backup, update and bug fixation so that end users don’t face issues.
- Web apps don’t crash and offer almost zero downtime due to above-mentioned reasons therefore with high-speed internet penetrating our lifestyle we are being dragged to web platform-based computing.